Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My niggas!

Everyone speaks english in Keets. Some speak and understand it better than others, but speak slowly and everyone will figure it out. Although everyone understands english, that doesnt mean everyone understands it like am American.
Some things are similar to british english, like saying 'chips' instead of french fries. However, other translations are all Africa. A prime example: Nigger. Stop and think for a moment how it made you feel to see it typed out like that. Nigger is not a pleasant word in America. Makes you feel dirty typing it too. Not here. Its not taboo, its not a bad word, its not an insult. There are no negatives tied to it. Its used to talk about or greet anyone who likes rap music. I've been asked if I'm a nigger. I've heard teachers call students niggers, its a common word. I'm not sure I'll ever get comfortable with it, and maybe I shouldn't. Some of the trainers have suggested explaining to people what it means in America and asking them not to use it around you. I won't be doing that. I don't see any reason to introduce more negativity into Namibian culture.

posted by Rashid @ 11:10 PM,


1 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Rashidos, so what in the world do you say when they ask you if you are one? You seem to have left that out of the text!