Beer-o-rama: Beers #2, #3, #4
Above: Amstel (not light) and Carlsberg. Not pictured: 440ml Guinness Draught
With Jenn getting over a slight cold we resumed the Keetmans Beer, Brats and Broccoli week on Tuesday by sharing a 440ml can of Guinness Draught. Now I feel compelled to compare this to the Castle Milk Stout. Which do I like better? Well, they're very different beers to start. The Guinness, its creamy thick head aside, has a lot less carbonation than the Castle. It is also significantly thicker with a much stronger, although not undesirable, aftertaste. The Castle is smoother and lighter with more carbonation, making it feel more refreshing. It also has very little, for better or worse, aftertaste. They're not really comparable. I talked to the SPAR manager yesterday about the possibility of stocking the Castle, if only because its more likely than them getting Guinness. Maybe I'll want Guinness when the weather gets cooler, but for now I'd grab a Castle first.
Last night we cracked open the two lighter colored beers: The Amstel and the Carlsberg. Note that Amstel Lager is not available in the states, only Amstel Light. However, thats not really much reason to be disappointed about. Yes, the Amstel as good, certainly better than any of the lighter colored beers that we can get regularly in Keetmans, but thats about where it ends. The Carlsberg was the clear winner here with a strong taste and aroma that both Jenn and I had been sorely missing the last 5 months.
Tonight's happy hour will feature two 440ml cans, both from the Guinness brewery, both stout and both containing the famed Guinness 'widget': Kilkenny and our 2nd can of Guinness. Stay tuned.
With Jenn getting over a slight cold we resumed the Keetmans Beer, Brats and Broccoli week on Tuesday by sharing a 440ml can of Guinness Draught. Now I feel compelled to compare this to the Castle Milk Stout. Which do I like better? Well, they're very different beers to start. The Guinness, its creamy thick head aside, has a lot less carbonation than the Castle. It is also significantly thicker with a much stronger, although not undesirable, aftertaste. The Castle is smoother and lighter with more carbonation, making it feel more refreshing. It also has very little, for better or worse, aftertaste. They're not really comparable. I talked to the SPAR manager yesterday about the possibility of stocking the Castle, if only because its more likely than them getting Guinness. Maybe I'll want Guinness when the weather gets cooler, but for now I'd grab a Castle first.
Last night we cracked open the two lighter colored beers: The Amstel and the Carlsberg. Note that Amstel Lager is not available in the states, only Amstel Light. However, thats not really much reason to be disappointed about. Yes, the Amstel as good, certainly better than any of the lighter colored beers that we can get regularly in Keetmans, but thats about where it ends. The Carlsberg was the clear winner here with a strong taste and aroma that both Jenn and I had been sorely missing the last 5 months.
Tonight's happy hour will feature two 440ml cans, both from the Guinness brewery, both stout and both containing the famed Guinness 'widget': Kilkenny and our 2nd can of Guinness. Stay tuned.
posted by Rashid @ 3:44 AM,

1 Comments:
At 10:03 PM,
damama said...